About Me

My photo
Like most people, I love to eat. I love to cook. And as of a year ago on Dec. 26th...I love to do it all in a healthy way. I'm living proof that all you have to do is change minor things in your life and you can accomplish anything you set your mind to. In one year, I changed how I ate (portion control), what I ate (not a lot of fried food, more veggies, less alcohol and sugars) and added a little exercise in my life (3-4 days a week for 30-45 minutes). And at the end I am 52 lbs lighter :) That was 3 years ago… and I've kept the weight off. These recipes have helped me keep it off and are easily adaptable for any and all diets. Just use a little imagination and let your stomach guide you :)

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Homemade Cheeseburger Hotpockets


So...new year, new ideas


I'm going to try and post all the recipes as I do them (most of the time I'll add things that sound good at the time but forget when I try to tell someone about it.) Starting with dinner from last night...

Introducing: Homemade Cheeseburger Hotpockets



And they taste better than they look...but they do look good :)


Things you need:

2 cans of crescent rolls
1 lb of hamburger meat
1 bag shredded Velveeta cheese
1 packet Hidden Valley Ranch powder
1 T (tablespoon) worcestershire sauce

(I also used some salt and pepper and season-all to taste but they didn't need much)


1. Turn on oven to 375 degrees.
2. Brown your hamburger meat with the packet of Hidden Valley and the worcestershire sauce.
3. Drain the meat (no one likes soggy and greasy hot pockets)
4. Take one roll (uncooked) and press it out thinly and make it look bigger. It may stick to the surface so peel it up and then lay it back down
5. add some ground beef (i added enough so it came out the sides a little) and the velveeta cheese
6. Rolling them is the hardest part...easiest way i learned was peel the roll up from the big side and roll it towards the smaller end but tuck it under some of the filling. 
7. Continue to roll the pocket until its all rolled up
8. Lay them on a pan/ casserole dish and top with cheese. 
9. Cook until rolls are brown (took mine about 8-9 minutes but my oven may be different from your so just watch them)

Easy, not very healthy but I do have some alternatives:

1. Use ground turkey (I love it, Nathan hates it but he probably wouldn't know a difference in this recipe)
2. no salt/ season all
3. instead of cheese, add veggies like tomatoes or avocados (or even an egg for extra protein)
    they also have vegan friendly (soy cheese) in the natural section of the grocery store
4. instead of the rolls, use bell peppers and grill them :)
     I'll be making the peppers version during the spring when it's warm enough for me to stand outside and cook lol. 




2 comments:

  1. Love it!! How fun and fitting for you Hope!! So glad Nathan has you to cook for him :) Love you both bunches xoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you Aunt Leanne! He's enjoying this as much as I am lol

    ReplyDelete