About Me

My photo
Like most people, I love to eat. I love to cook. And as of a year ago on Dec. 26th...I love to do it all in a healthy way. I'm living proof that all you have to do is change minor things in your life and you can accomplish anything you set your mind to. In one year, I changed how I ate (portion control), what I ate (not a lot of fried food, more veggies, less alcohol and sugars) and added a little exercise in my life (3-4 days a week for 30-45 minutes). And at the end I am 52 lbs lighter :) That was 3 years ago… and I've kept the weight off. These recipes have helped me keep it off and are easily adaptable for any and all diets. Just use a little imagination and let your stomach guide you :)

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Per Nathan's Request...White Bean Chicken Chili

Yes, it's cold. And yes, I had a work dinner tonight I could not miss...so Nathan HAD to choose what he wanted for dinner.

White Bean Chicken Chili with sweet cornbread 

(and I have to make it all on my lunch, of course)

What you need:

1 large onion (or small if you don't like a lot of onion)
4 cloves garlic
2 T olive oil
2 lbs chicken breast (I went ahead and cut my into tender-like strips)
1 t salt
2 T cummin
1 T oregano
2 T chili powder
1/2 cup flour
30 oz white beans (I used great northern beans, drained and rinsed)
1 1/2 cup frozen corn
4 cup chicken stock (i used chicken broth)

What to do:

First, put your oil in a skillet on medium-high and add your onions. Cook for about 5 minutes and add your garlic (minced, chopped, smashed...however you like to do it. just not whole). After 1 minute, add your chicken and cook until mostly done. Add salt, cumin, oregano, and chili powder and shred chicken while mixing it all together. Then you have 2 choices:

A. Add flour, stock (broth) and corn to skillet and turn down to medium heat. Let simmer for 30-45 minutes or until it thickens.

B. Move everything from pot into crockpot and add flour, stock (broth) and corn. Turn on high for it to be ready in 3 hours, or low for 5-6 hours. 




And the sweet cornbread...

Open jiffy cornbread mix. Mix according to package. Add tablespoon of honey. Cook according to package. Enjoy with chili!



And this was all done during my lunch break today...which is about 30-35 minutes once I get home, and I ate lunch too!


Warning: Recipe makes enough to feed an army...I have extra at my house. First come, first serve. Just call before coming over. Our house is gun friendly and the door is for your protection...not ours :)


No comments:

Post a Comment