About Me

My photo
Like most people, I love to eat. I love to cook. And as of a year ago on Dec. 26th...I love to do it all in a healthy way. I'm living proof that all you have to do is change minor things in your life and you can accomplish anything you set your mind to. In one year, I changed how I ate (portion control), what I ate (not a lot of fried food, more veggies, less alcohol and sugars) and added a little exercise in my life (3-4 days a week for 30-45 minutes). And at the end I am 52 lbs lighter :) That was 3 years ago… and I've kept the weight off. These recipes have helped me keep it off and are easily adaptable for any and all diets. Just use a little imagination and let your stomach guide you :)

Friday, January 11, 2013

Beef...it's what's for dinner

And carrots, potatoes, and okra...for something sweet, spicy and salty :)


So tonight's dinner does take a little more work than I normally like to do after work, but with Nate working all this overtime, he deserves it.  Menu tonight:

Roast beef
carrots
boiled okra
skillet potatoes
honey biscuits



First: The Beef

1 beef roast (i used an angus shoulder roast...it was on sale )
4 Tablespoons soy sauce
2 Tablespoons worcestershire sauce
a little salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, rosemary
A splash of balsamic vinegar

1. I always poke my beef as much as i can with a fork to tenderize it (I don't know if it really does but it helps the beef to soak up the moisture too)
2. Mix all ingredients from above and pour on top of beef
3. Soak for at least 30 minutes
4. Heat stove top pan to medium heat and sear both sides of beef for about 1 minute each while preheating your oven to 375 degrees (hold juices out for the oven side of the cooking)
5. Remove beef from stove top and put in clean pan with juices from marinade earlier and sprinkle with rosemary
6. Cook until desired (We like ours about medium which takes about 30 minutes in my oven)
7. Remove from oven when done and put in new dish (the heat from the other will continue to cook meat, which is good if the rest of your meal isn't ready and your meat still needs a little more heat)
8. Cut in thin strips and let soak in juices while waiting to be eaten


Carrots, Potatoes, and Okra

Carrots:

1. Open can
2. Heat on medium until simmering
3. Reduce heat to low
(Yes, I cheated I guess lol but they were still delicious...I did add a little honey to them :)  )

Potatoes:

1. Quarter potatoes
2. Heat pan on stove to medium heat, add potatoes with 2 Tablespoons of olive oil (or some butter). 
3. Sprinkle with salt and pepper
(I added garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, and cayenne red pepper)
4. Cook for about 15 minutes until tender


Okra:

1. Add okra to a pan with a little water, butter, and piece of uncooked bacon
2. Bring it all to a boil
3. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes
4. Remove bacon and continue to simmer
5. Add salt, pepper, oregano and a pinch of sugar (doesn't make it sweet but helps pull the flavor out more)


And finally...honey biscuits

1. Buy pillsbury honey butter biscuits
2. Cook according to package 

Sweet, Salty, spicy and beefy all in one dinner...with a biscuit :)

Life doesn't get much better 


No comments:

Post a Comment