About Me

My photo
Like most people, I love to eat. I love to cook. And as of a year ago on Dec. 26th...I love to do it all in a healthy way. I'm living proof that all you have to do is change minor things in your life and you can accomplish anything you set your mind to. In one year, I changed how I ate (portion control), what I ate (not a lot of fried food, more veggies, less alcohol and sugars) and added a little exercise in my life (3-4 days a week for 30-45 minutes). And at the end I am 52 lbs lighter :) That was 3 years ago… and I've kept the weight off. These recipes have helped me keep it off and are easily adaptable for any and all diets. Just use a little imagination and let your stomach guide you :)

Monday, January 14, 2013

It's cold...chicken and dumplins sound warm

Ok...so I didn't cook this weekend, but after cooking all week, I think I deserve a break. And family time lol.


Bring it on Monday...and Chicken and Dumplins


What you need:

1 lb chicken breast
1 large container chicken broth
2 T chicken boullion
1/4 t cayenne pepper
1 t onion powder
1 can honey butter flakey layer biscuits (8 biscuits)
1 can butter tastin' flakey layer biscuits (8 biscuits)

What to do:

1. Boil your chicken until fully cooked. Remove from pot and rinse. Set it to the side.
2. Pour in your broth, bouillon, pepper, onion powder (and sometimes I add a little butter or milk 
    depending on the flavor I want that night).
3. Open your biscuits and separate 3 from each pack. Pull them into 3 pieces (into what looks like 3 
    separate biscuits) and add into the pot with broth mixture.
4. Turn pot on high heat and bring to boil. Stir while boiling for 5 minutes.
5. Turn heat down to medium and pull remaining biscuits into 2 separate pieces.
6. Add to pot.
7. Pull chicken apart into shreds/ bite-sized pieces and add to pot.
8. Let cook for about 10 more minutes, or until dumplins aren't stringy when pulled apart.

Then enjoy :)


Healthy alternatives:

1. Don't add the bouillon to cut out some of the sodium
2. Instead of can biscuits, mix and add some gluten free biscuits (available in the organic section of 
     any grocery store)
3. Only use half or a quarter of the biscuits and add carrots, celery, mushrooms, green beans and 
    snap peas.
4. If not using any biscuits, add a little milk to the broth to make it thicker and coat your veggies 



No comments:

Post a Comment